11 Best Weight Loss Plateau Exercises And Tips For The Same Level Bodies
Weight loss programs work differently for different people. We have seen a lot of folks who complain about their weight being the same throughout the year or never moved an inch after reaching a certain point. So what could be the problem? Is this something related to your metabolism or the confusion of not doing the things right? Don’t worry, in this following article, we explained how to move your weight loss plateau to the next level by adding few lifestyle changes and core workouts. Before getting started, remember that the focus should always be on how you are eating, instead of what you are eating.
Consider these following rules to lose those extra pounds which are keeping you away from your weight loss goals. First, we need to get our basics right, as to what weight loss plateaus are and why they happen? You have successfully kept off the additional pounds from piling on, but just when you are oh-so-near your weight loss goal, in fact in sniffing distance, that’s when frustratingly, you stop.
Tips to Rev up your Metabolism
What exactly is a weight loss plateau or more specifically fat loss? When you have stopped shedding, for three weeks at a stretch, you will know for sure that you have reached the weight loss plateau. Check out the following points to know more about your weight-loss plateau.
- Weight loss plateaus are fairly common-If you do not reach a weight loss plateau in your weight loss journey, you should be thanking your lucky stars. Weight loss plateaus are to be expected as you are going on your weight loss Our bodies take time to change. A large number of people have experienced at least two to three weight loss plateaus in their weight loss journey. If losing weight was that easy then nobody would have been ever been fat.
- The weight loss process slows down considerably when you near your goal- Sad but true. Imagine yourself running a marathon and as soon as you see the finishing line, you rev up your speed, but what if your legs refuse to speed up just then? Won’t you feel frustrated and angry too? Who wants to lose the race just when they are so close to the goal? The more weight you lose, the more difficult it will be to lose further weight.
Break the Plateau
How to get past weight loss plateaus? Yes, that’s the question you must be asking yourself! You need to get past it to reach your weight loss goals. Check out the following points to rev up your metabolism and lose weight, with renewed vigor.
- Eat fat to lose fat – Yes, as you eat quality fat like almonds, cashews, seeds like pumpkin and sunflower seeds that top nutritionists recommend us to have healthy fats every single day. A tablespoon or two of extra-virgin olive oil drizzled on your fresh salad with vegetables will look after your fat requirement very well. This is an ideal weight watcher’s plateau tip.
- Stop taking those on the run meals – When was the last time you really sat down for a meal and savored each bite? Instead, you are gobbling down your meal and hooked on to social media. You are oblivious to what you are eating. Slowing down at mealtimes is the best way to lose your weight. You will be mindful of what you are eating, and thus, stop yourself from overeating. Set a timer for your At first, it will be difficult as you are used to gadgets, but once you have the hang of it, you will be good to go. This is a good way of plateau breaking quick weight loss.
- Research has substantiated that people who chewed fast were overweight and the people who chewed slowly, were closer to their ideal weight. When you chew, the enzymes in your saliva stimulate your digestive juices, which helps you metabolize food better. So when by chewing slowly, you extract more nutrients from the food, which makes your body feel more satisfied because it’s absorbing the nutrition it As a result, you’ll crave less junk food.
- To master the habit of chewing slower, chew your food about ten times. You’ll be able to better enjoy the whole spectrum of tastes and aromas of the meal, which triggers cephalic phase digestive responses, which is just another way of saying that digestion actually begins in the brain. Your senses are enraptured by the sight, smell, and taste of food, and hence, the assimilation of the nutrients is far better.
- Keep that food journal close to you – When you are hungry, you will eat mindlessly, and hence go overboard on calories. If you go to a restaurant, you will end up having more than you thought of, as restaurants serve double the required amount for you. Maintain a food journal, so that you how many calories you have eaten, and are able to eat but mindfully.
- Take care of your hormones – More often than not, our hormones play a major role in initiating fat loss or weight loss. This is when the doctor steps in. You need to take help from the good doctor, who will give you a few tests to do, the results of which will guide you and help you understand your body better. It can be a weight loss plateau buster for you to try.
- Same way of eating – If you have been following a certain type of diet. It will do you good if you shift gears and changed to a different kind of eating pattern. This will amp up your metabolism, which has slowed down over the weeks. Overcoming a weight loss plateau can be tough, but with your eyes on the goal, you can achieve the impossible.
Set Things Right
Accepting that you have hit a weight-loss plateau is the biggest hurdle. As soon as you know that you have reached a weight-loss plateau, try to change things, exercise wise as well as your eating pattern. Try these exercises to rev up your metabolism and also to get past that dreaded plateau. These exercises are sure shot metabolism boosters. Try them and watch the scale of your weighing machine, once again.
Dumbbell Squat and Knee Pull
Grab your dumbbells, just the weight you are comfortable in so that you can continue with a few repetitions.
Method: Begin in a split stance with your right leg forward, your left heel lifted, holding dumbbells in front of your shoulders, elbows bent in by sides, palms facing in. Lower into a split squat, bend your knees and pushing hips back, as arms extend overhead. Press back up, bending elbows and lifting left knee up toward chest, balancing on right leg for 1 count. Return to start. Do 10 reps, and then repeat on opposite side.
Switch the Scissor
Get your heart rate up with this killer move. A change from your regular walks on the treadmill, this exercise should break not only your plateau but also your boredom from doing your regular, mundane stuff.
Method: Begin in a lunge with your right leg forward, your left arm extended overhead (palm facing in) and right arm down by side. Jump straight up, switching your arms and legs midair, landing in a lunge with your left leg forward and right arm extended overhead. Repeat this as quickly as possible for about 30 seconds. Take rest for 10 seconds before repeating.
Side Plank Rise Up
Rev up your side-planks, with this workout. It will work your abdomen like nothing else would.
Method: Lie on your right side with right forearm on the ground angled front and left hand behind head. Your hips should be one on top of other, right knee bent under the left. Keep your abs engaged and think of pressing the right side of your ribcage away from the floor. Press down through right palm and extend your left arm. Keeping left arm extended, lift hips off the floor and extend right leg, crossing it behind left into a full side plank, reaching left arm to the ceiling and looking up to the hand. Hold for 1 count, and then gently lower back to starting position. Do 15 reps on one side before repeating on opposite side.
Squat Jump Over
This one is a more difficult version of the squat jump. This is a wonderful exercise to challenge your body.
Method: Stack dumbbells about 1 foot in front of you on the floor. Perform a squat thrust by lowering into a squat, quickly placing hands on the floor, and jumping legs out into full plank position. This is pretty similar to a burpee move.
Jump your legs back into a squat and immediately lift hands off the floor and jump up and over the dumbbells, bending knees, tucking your heels into the body, and swinging arms in front of chest to help you jump higher. Land on the other side of the dumbbells and repeat squat thrust.
Repeat as quickly as possible, jumping back and forth over dumbbells, for 30 seconds. Rest for 10 seconds before starting all over again.
Bridge and Chest Press
Grab your dumbbells and give your regular chest press a thorough twist, with this move.
Method: Grab a pair of dumbbells and lie face up, holding the weights above your chest with arms extended, palms facing in. Your feet should be hip-width apart, lift your heels. Bend elbows in by sides, palms facing in, pressing them down into the floor as hips lift up into the bridge, keeping your heels lifted. Return to start. Do 15 reps.
This circuit can be a great replacement, for your treadmill or cross-trainer. The best part is, it challenges your body and hence helps you to shed weight. A good way to break your weight-loss plateau is by doing this challenging exercise.
Method: Perform the following four moves as a circuit: Do one for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, and then move on to the next. Repeat twice. To increase the difficulty level, do the exercises for 30 seconds but keep the resting time the same. This will take about five minutes.
- Speed Squat: With feet hip-width apart, bend your knees to 90 degrees, keeping your chest upright. Return to standing as quickly as possible.
- Squat Thrust: With your feet hip-width apart, bend your knees to place your hands on the ground and jump your feet back into a pushup position. Quickly reverse to return to standing.
- Mountain Climber: From a push-up position, quickly bring alternating knees toward your chest.
- Speed Skip: Skip in place, quickly bringing alternating knees up toward your chest.
Four Corner Walk
This workout should help you shed the additional weight you have been trying so hard to shed. This should challenge you to make you out of breath but at the end of it all, it will be all worth it.
Method: Place two cones 10 yards apart. Holding a pair of heavy dumbbells, do one to three sets of the following sequence. Rest two to four minutes between sets. (To challenge your calves, walk on the balls of your feet.)
- Standing at one cone, do eight to 10 bent-over rows: Hold a pair of dumbbells and bend forward, arms hanging straight. Pull the weights to the sides of your chest.
- Walk to the other cone and do eight to 10 biceps curls: Hold weights by your sides, palms facing forward, and slowly raise them to your shoulders.
- Walk back to the first cone and do eight to 10 squats: Hold weights at shoulders and bend your knees to 90 degrees, keeping your chest upright.
- Return to the second cone and do eight to 10 overhead presses: With weights at your shoulders, bend your knees slightly then push the weights directly overhead. Walk back to the start.
A Few Pointers to Reach Your Fitness Goal
Changing your existing routine with these exercises can help you to rattle and amp your existing workout. Besides your workout, concentrate on these following things to push the envelope further, and reach your fitness goals.
- Eat five servings of vegetables a day.
- Avoid highly processed packaged food.
- Avoid fizzy drinks, like soft drinks, alcohol, milkshakes, and fruit shakes.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates like the plague. Instead have whole-wheat stuff, like brown rice, potatoes, yams etc.
- Avoid extra fat, sugar, and salt in your meals
- Include short bursts of interval training, in your workout.
- Include strength training in your workout for at least two to three times a week.
The best way to deal with a weight loss plateau is not to give up. To have come so far and then give up, will be regarded as not only losing the battle but also the war. There is ample chance that once you have reached a certain level fitness and have shed oodles of weight, you are going to attain a weight loss plateau success. So get the lean body, you had always dreamed of and savor the compliments pouring in from all quarters.